Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Dark Chocolate Drizzled Salted Fried Eggplant



Here's a fun twist for dessert!

Salted fried eggplant drizzled with dark chocolate.

Ok when I first saw David Rocco making this on his Italian cooking show "Dolce Vita" I had to rewind it to make sure I heard him correctly.

Eggplant and what??? CHOCOLATE!! That just sounded weird but as I watched I thought to myself that it's a simple enough recipe so even if I didn't like it there would be little waste, could just try a bit and then if it wasn't for me the rest of the fried eggplant could go into a pita with tomatoes.

Instead of the regular eggplant I used a white eggplant because it was on hand and has a much more delicate and sweet flavour, no harsh bitterness that goes along with the regular eggplants so it seemed perfect for the recipe.







Eggplant gets fried in shallow oil, no salting ahead of time for these, and then they get sprinkled with a bit of salt once they come out of the hot oil and drizzled with melted dark chocolate.

It's that easy!


5 comments:

Donna Elick said...

This eggplant looks very interesting. I have about 5 in the fridge. I wonder how it would go with a normal eggplant...

Amatullah said...

On the show he used regular eggplant:) Go for it!

myfudo said...

I find this interesting. Does the chocolate blends with the salty eggplant?

Amatullah said...

If you mean does it stick to it then not really because eggplant has an interesting texture on it's own but the chocolate can be drizzled or just spread across it. I looked back at the original recipe and it was dredged in flour (though I don't remember this) so anyway if you want to try that way you may like it, I'd say try it both ways. :) Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

i'm all over this idea, just got some 80% cacao bars that almost bite back all by it's self. and i'll be using coconut flour to dredge it in and coconut oil to fry in.thanks,