Friday, September 2, 2011

Thrifting for props



I love rummaging! Mostly because it wastes a lot of time and when you finally find something you just feel so excited and proud of yourself! Hehe

Vintage clothing and fashion items are what I usually go for, but finding kitchen items is super fun too because there is a huge selection out there, and you could go to your nearest salvation army, goodwill or value village, or a garage sale, flea market or whatever and you're likely to find something great!

You've probably noticed that I use this little copper tray in a lot of my pictures, it's one of my favourites and when I picked it up it was so dirty and horrible looking. With a bit of elbow grease and polish it turned out amazing!
Now it's a gem in my kitchen.

So go to your nearest thrift store and see what you can find. The key is not to buy something that you won't use because sooner of later it could turn into an addiction (more so for some people perhaps) but keep a list of things that you need and that you would go to a regular store to buy and while you're at the thrift store have a look, because you may find it, things like baking dishes and glasses are really easy to find.

There are so many plates out there too.

For example the asian set that I picked up looked totally new, I used that in my Mac & Cheese shot and use it often for Ramen. People tend to get gifts and just can't be bothered then donate them.
There is an abundance of teacups, and they don't have to be used for the conventional purpose so switch it up and see what you can come up with.

Just look over items to make sure they're not broken, or scratched. And go on days when there is a sale, places like value village really rack up the prices so sometimes I find them just too expensive that I could go to a place like TJ Max and find a kitchen item on clearance for less!!
Here it's called Winners and Home Sense is just for home items but they are awesome too!







4 comments:

Yasmeen said...

I adore thrifting for props, and it can absolutely become addictive!

Beautiful copper plate (and love the one you've used for the Maamoul as well). I think I'd actually keep some of the wear and tear showing on the first one :)

Corinne said...

I have the same affliction for thrifting - I'm obsessed! For props, home decor, etc. I buy silver-plated items. With my last "polishing" I think I realized I'm REALLY buying these things so that I can shine them up! Ha ha ha! I LOVE seeing the before and after. I feel like I just got a brand new item for next to nothing.

Anonymous said...

Know what's cheaper than Brasso, smells better, and cleans COPPER really well? Ketchup (or catsup, depending where you're from). I kid you not.

Amatullah said...

Anon, thanks for the tip!! Will definitely give it a try on my next piece.